Monday, August 26, 2013

Happy Monday!

Happy Monday!!

Last week was very interesting and quite fun, I spent a great deal of time making as many sourdough items that I could with my young starter, Alpha. I haven't worked with sourdough for such a long time..not since culinary school to be honest! One of my new clients expressed a need for a sourdough loaf so I decided that now is as good a time as any to commit to cultivating a wild yeast starter. My mother laughed at me whenever she watched me as I cared for my then unnamed youngster and she cringed a few times when I asked her to peer into the jar and take a whiff... I know, maybe that was sort of mean but once Alpha matured enough to be used in a recipe on his eight day, she wasn't laughing anymore. Alpha first gave us a few simple things such as Crumpets and English Muffins.

 

 

I don't think that many survived the first afternoon... I believe that we ended up eating most of the English Muffins with raw honey from our friends at Singing Frog Farm or did I make scrambled egg sandwiches with bacon...it's all a haze..either way it was pretty tasty.

Alpha and I also collaborated on Pretzel Rolls and Waffles.

Yes...I said Pretzel rolls! All I needed were some heirloom tomato and bacon jam, kale, garlic aioli and grass fed beef! I settled for a few with the most delicious Amish butter and maybe just one with Raw Milk Cheddar from Fields of Athenry..well done Alpha!

 

 

I love waffles more than I probably should and I honestly thought that I had already perfected my goto waffle recipe. I am happy to say that I have found my new favorite treat! My little brother came for a visit so I had to share a little Sourdough Waffle goodness with him! I grated a little nutmeg added a few other yummy spices, sauteed organic Golden Delicious apples butter,cream and sugar and voila, delish!

I wonder if Alpha is ready to make a loaf of bread? We'll find out later this week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment