Sunday, January 12, 2014

Brown Sugar Basics

Good afternoon!

I hope that you are having a great day enjoying the sunshine either provided by the people you love or by the sun...I know, that was a little silly but I believe that the people you hold dear to your heart can impact your day in the best way at any given time. My family shines great sunshine and love on me on a regular basis and I try to reciprocate as often as possible. January is my father's birthday month and I am going to bake a batch of his favorite cookie for just his enjoyment.

I wanted to share something very basic and extremely easy that you can use exclusively or if you happen to run out of it and need to make a substitution. I make my own brown sugar, not for just my own personal use but also for my bakery, Sweet Intentions, I love the way that it smells when it's in the mixer! The recipe for brown sugar is so simple and very easy to remember:

 

Light Brown Sugar

1 cup granulated sugar (I use all natural or certified organic sugar)

1 TBSP molasses

Mix the ingredients together either by hand or use your mixer to completely combine them. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to insure that you are incorporating all of the molasses evenly into the sugar.

Here is a picture of my Light Brown Sugar prior to starting the mixer,

I started out on low and stopped it pretty frequently to scrape the sides and even the bottom of the bowl. I gradually increased the speed to medium and let it go for about five minutes before scraping the sides again. I let it go for about another five minutes and I was greeted with this

 

 

If you are in need of Dark Brown Sugar the method is the same but you would combine 2 TBSP of molasses with 1 cup of granulated sugar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment